‘Grieving and remembering’: Family of Kumanjayi Little Baby call for calm after hospital riot, alleged killer arrested
The family of Kumanjayi Little Baby has called for calm and for the community to join them in grieving after a wild riot broke out in Alice Springs following the arrest of the five-year-old girl's alleged killer.
WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander readers are warned that this story includes the name and image of an Indigenous person who may have died.
The family of Kumanjayi Little Baby has called for calm across Central Australia after a wild riot erupted following the arrest of the five-year-old girl’s alleged killer Jefferson Lewis.
In a statement on behalf of the family, senior Yapa elder Robin Granites asked the community to show respect to the girl’s loved ones and have space for grieving and remembering.
“Everyone is feeling very upset and emotions are very high, I understand that,” Mr Granites said.
“What has happened this week is not our way. Our children are precious, of course we are feeling angry and hurt at what has happened.
“This man has been caught, thanks to community action, and we must now let justice take its course while we take the time to mourn Kumantjayi Little Baby and support our family.”
Kumanjayi Little Baby’s body was found on Thursday. Picture: NT Police.
A police car seen on fire during the riot. Picture: Sky News Australia
Mr Granites asked residents in bush communities to reconsider the need to travel to Alice Springs at this time unless to join the family in mourning.
“If you need to come to join Sorry Business, that’s fine. But just come for that, then return home please,” he said.
“Now is not the time to be heroes on social media or make trouble.
“We must be mindful Mparntwe is traditional country for Central Arrernte, and East and Western Arrernte as well. We must respect that and their ways.
“We need to be strong for each other, we must respect family and cultural practice. This is the Yapa way.”
Rocks, bottles and other objects were allegedly hurled as people clashed with police. Picture: Sky News Australia
Wild riot erupts outside Alice Springs Hospital
A wild riot erupted outside Alice Springs Hospital on Thursday night, where the man accused of abducting and killing Kumanjayi Little Baby was taken following his arrest.
Jefferson Lewis had earlier attended Charles Creek Camp where he was beaten by a group of vigilantes, according to reports.
He was taken to Alice Springs Hospital for treatment before he was later evacuated to Darwin.
Dramatic footage captured by Sky News Australia showed police responding to crowds of protesters and a police vehicle on fire outside the hospital.
Sky News Northern Australia Correspondent Matt Cunningham described the scenes outside the hospital as “absolute chaos”.
He said about 400 people had gathered at the hospital, with members of the crowd clashing with police over approximately two to three hours following Lewis’ arrest.
He said people that gathered outside the hospital could be heard yelling “get him out” and “bring him out”.
Rocks, bottles and other objects were allegedly hurled as people clashed with police, who deployed tear gas and other methods as they responded to incident.
Speaking on the assault at the town camp, Cunningham said it was believed Lewis was “severely bashed” by a group of vigilantes before police arrived to arrest him.
Police seen responding to the chaos outside the hospital. Picture: Sky News Australia
Lewis left ‘unconscious’ after assault by vigilantes: top cop
NT Police Commissioner Martin Dole has told reporters Jefferson Lewis was subjected to a “sustained attack” at one of the town camps in Alice Springs on Thursday night.
Lewis’ arrival at the camp came after police confirmed Kumanjayi Little Baby’s body had been found.
Commissioner Dole said police received numerous phone calls after members of the camp inflicted what he described as “vigilante justice” upon Lewis.
Lewis was then arrested by police and taken to Alice Springs Hospital for further treatment.
“At the time of his apprehension by us, he was unconscious and in the process of being treated by St Johns Ambulance as they were set upon, as were the police,” Commissioner Dole said at a media conference.
Commissioner Dole said Lewis had since been released by Northern Territory Health and was in police custody.
“His injuries are not significant enough to keep him in hospital,” he said.
Lewis evacuated to Darwin
NT Police Commissioner Martin Dole told Sky News that Lewis had been transferred from Alice Springs Hospital to Darwin in the early hours of Friday morning.
“He was treated at the Alice Springs Hospital and he’s been given a fit for custody,” Commissioner Dole said.
“Mr Lewis has since been transferred via police air wing to Darwin at about 3.30am this morning.”
NT Police Commissioner Martin Dole confirmed Lewis had been transferred to Darwin on Friday morning. Picture: Sky News
Cops, emergency workers injured during assault and hospital riot
NT Police Commissioner Martin Dole said a number of police officers and other emergency workers were injured during the violent scenes at the town camp and at the riot Alice Springs Hospital.
Commissioner Martin Dole said one police officer who responded to assault and arrest of Lewis received stitches for a head-wound.
Several ambulance officers were also attacked and received “soft tissue injuries”.
During the riot, one police vehicle was destroyed while three of four others were “significantly damaged”.
“Four of the five ambulances available in Alice Springs have been taken out of action and damaged,” he said.
“Fire and Rescue vehicles were also damaged.”
Commissioner Dole said one woman had already been arrested after the attempted arson of a police traffic sedan.
He warned further arrests could be made as people are identified.
NT Chief Minister condemns attacks of frontline workers
Chief Minister Lia Finocchiaro has told reporters she hopes Thursday’s rioting behaviour, which saw emergency services personnel assaulted, would be an isolated incident.
“Attacks on frontline workers are never acceptable,” she said at a media conference.
“Whilst we appreciate and understand that people are very angry and grieving, there is never an excuse or an acceptability of violence as a response.”
The Chief Minister said emergency services have a “very important job to do” and “we have to let them do that job”.
“We are very hopeful that that was an isolated incident and should not define what has been an incredible community effort this week,” she said.
Alleged killer likely helped by others, says NT top cop
Jefferson Lewis was likely helped by others before he was tracked down and arrested over the alleged murder of Kumanjayi Little Baby, Northern Territory Police Commissioner Martin Dole has said.
“I think it’s quite clear to us now, the fact that he was able to avoid any kind of detection since Sunday right through until Thursday night, that somebody knew where he was and somebody was assisting him,” Commissioner Dole told Sky News.
“My message for those people is you better watch out, because when we find out who you are, we’ll be coming for you as well.”
Lewis was taken into custody about 9.30pm on Thursday after he was located at a residence in Alice Springs.
Police allege Lewis took Kumanjayi Little Baby from Old Timers Aboriginal Town Camp where she was last seen on Saturday night.
It is alleged he then murdered the five-year-old, with authorities previously confirming traces of his DNA had been found on her clothing.
Kumanjayi Little Baby’s body was found on the edge of the Todd River, about five kilometres from the Old Timers camp.
A post-mortem will be conducted to determine the cause of her death.
The girl’s mother had earlier thanked the people of Alice Springs and everyone else who tried to find her daughter.
“Me and Ramsiah (Kumanjayi Little Baby’s brother) miss and love you,” she wrote in a message published by police.
“I know you are in heaven with the rest of the family with Jesus and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
“It is going to be so hard to live the rest of our lives without you.”




